Maintenance supervisors and property managers have enough headaches with the day to day issues. Catching something simple, early on can save you major expense later. Dirty coils and filters impede efficiency and strain your system.
Being able to identify problems before they arise, can help ward off many unplanned and costly HVAC repairs. With a preventive maintenance plan in place, many system replacements can be averted.
Taking stock of all your HVAC equipment and methodically keeping them maintained as the seasons change, might sound a bit dull, but, it beats getting a call at 1 AM from a tenant who needs you to come out and repair their HVAC system. If you have tenants without heat or AC, you might be in for more than just complaints. Several municipalities have hefty fines for not providing proper heating.
Planned, regular preventive maintenance of all your HVAC systems can really save you hours of extra work. It will also help assure you get the full value out of all equipment. Best not to have your systems’ life expectancy cut short, due to something that could have been avoided. A bit of attention to maintenance today, can help prevent premature replacement.
Monthly Visual Checks
Don’t rely on your memory. Mark your calendar now for rest of the year, with one day each month to do these checks:
- Do a simple walk around and look at the visible system components.
- Look for loose screws & loose wires and tighten them.
- Is there debris around your compressor? Leaves, lawn clippings and such, can restrict air flow and make your system work harder than it needs to on a hot day.
- Are your filters clean? Are your coils clean?
- Check for Vibration issues. If any of your equipment is outdoors, expansion and contraction over the seasons can affect the soil or foundation beneath your system. Making sure your system is stable will increase the lifespan of your compressor
Do you have coolant issues?
Under charged systems can take twice as long to cool a building, and are therefore, substantially more expensive to run. A low charged AC unit will lose cooling capabilities and in some cases you’ll see the coils freezing. This seems counter-intuitive, but they freeze, because the refrigerant in the coils are no longer absorbing enough heat to warm up.
Overcharged systems can damage the compressor. Excess refrigerant collects inside the compressor and leads to cooling temperatures below normal. Extra refrigerant floods the compressor, damaging mechanical components. Repairing or replacing a damaged compressor is a big ticket item that everyone would like to avoid.
Improperly charged refrigerant can cause system failure. If you think there is a coolant issue, call a professional for help. They can look for leaks and measure pressure. They also can assure that the proper levels of coolant are maintained.
Know your Warranties
New system warranties come with required maintenance plans for a reason. If you have a new system installed:
- Be sure to register your system with the manufacturer within the time required (often 90 days but check your documentation provided at the time of installation).
- Put a copy of your proof of purchase on the unit so you can always know where it is if you need repair.
- Know your limited parts warranty – it will tell you what is and what isn’t covered.
- Follow the maintenance guidelines as spelled out in the installation instructions and owner’s manual.
If you run into a snag when doing your basic monthly maintenance review, or if you think you have coolant issues, call an Allied technician. Each of Allied’s technicians are NATE certified. They not only studied HVAC systems, working alongside a seasoned mentor, then passed the testing, but it also means they are continuously held to the NATE standards. To maintain NATE certification our technicians must attend continuing education classes and apply for re-certification every three years.
After having your system maintained by Allied Air Conditioning & Heating Corp. you automatically receive a no breakdown guarantee waiving the normal $84 diagnostic fee and return at no charge should you require a service call during the season.
We also offer financing options, to take the burden off replacement costs.
We offer emergency 24 hour service, seven days a week.
A premier Carrier Factory Authorized, 9-time Presidents Award Dealer, Allied is one of the largest HVAC contractors in the area and top 2% nationwide in sales volume. Allied enjoys a reputation of quality, ethics, and high end customer service providing comfortable indoor environments for the homes and businesses of the north and northwest suburbs of Chicago.
When you call Allied Air Conditioning & Heating Corp., you can expect the following, every time:
- Prompt, professional service. Our ethical and courteous team will answer any questions you may have about our services, prices, and products.
- Competitive rates. Our fee estimates and flat rate prices ensure you get the best rates for your parts and repairs.
- Quality parts. We want to ensure your air conditioner lasts for many years to come, which is why we replace broken components with only the best parts. Although we work quickly, we don’t take shortcuts.
- Budget-friendly options. Air conditioning units don’t have to empty your wallet. We offer payment plans so you can manage the cost with ease.
Allied Air Conditioning & Heating Corp. has two locations – in Libertyville, and Palatine, to serve ChicagoLand customers – 365 days a year, 24 hours a day.